Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Melomel (Mead) - Maintenance Update Day 5


Fermentation seems to be chugging along at a good pace.  I stirred the must gently tonight and took a sample for Gravity and pH readings.

SG = 1.030
pH = 3.4

 I'm happy to see the pH didn't drop lower, below 3.2, and it has rebounded a bit.  I did do a calibration of my pH meter tonight in 4.01 buffer solution.  So the number is as accurate as I can get it.  Which is to say, close enough...

Last night the SG was 1.050 so that was a twenty point drop in about 24 hours or so.  I think that's good and so I'm not going to loose any sleep worrying about the mead.  I expect it will take about 7 days to finish completely but only about 2 more days to get into the 1.010 range...  Let's see if I'm right.

The taste was still fairly clean.  There is a touch of bitter/medicinal flavor going on but I think that's just the yeast coming through.  Once this drops clear, has the coconut, and is aged for 6 months it shouldn't matter too much.

Until tomorrow night.



No comments:

Post a Comment