Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Melomel (Mead) - Aeration Day 1.5

This morning the airlock on the pineapple mead was going along at a decent rate.  I guess the lag phase is now truly over.  Anyways, I got my aeration rig put together and started to aerate the must.  The degassing produced an impressive head of foam.  At one point it did overflow just a little bit.  Here's a video and some stills:







As you can see the foam did dissipate by the end of the 20 minute bubble session.  I also pulled a sample for the hydrometer and pH testing.  The gravity has dropped 2 points! Woot!  The pH is also within limits.
Specific Gravity = 1.094
pH = 3.6
 

The temperature of the must is holding at 62F (16.5C).  So I'm going to dial down the water bath tonight another degree or so and see if I can't hit my target 59F (15C).
Water Bath is at 16.5C
Must is at 16.5C
Ahh... There be mead in my near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment