Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pineapple coconut mead - Houston...We have lift off. Day 3


Okay, so I started my usual mead maintenance tonight and aerated the must, skimmed a little more of the strange pineapple puke off the top.  But I noticed a very active and visible 'boiling' effect in the fermenting must.  I took a video.  Check it out...





Pulled a sample for a Gravity measurement and I'm not sure what to believe.  Just a few hours ago, at lunch, I pulled a sample and it measured 1.080.  That correlates to my measurement this morning at 1.082.  But tonight's sample measured 1.072.  I used two different hydrometers and took a few samples just to be sure.  I don't know, but I may be losing it here.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.   pH measured at 3.4 so it is still doing okay.

Perhaps that boil effect means that the EC-1118 has achieved critical mass and is ready to rock?  Perhaps.  Oh, one more thing.  I always taste my pH samples and up until now it was just pineapple honey.  Tonight it has started to show signs of a fermentation taste.  Just a touch of bitter, clean yeast, and just a speck of alcohol.

Update:  Hot damn!  I almost missed the fact that I'm at the 1/4 sugar break and its time to add the second nutrient dose... 6g Fermaid-K and 6g DAP.  Mix them up in H20 first, then dump it in.

That looks like a lot of nutrients...

All mixed and ready to go


When I dumped in the nutrients I was expecting a small/large foam head to erupt.  But...nothing happened.  Cool.  That looked like a lot of nutrients.  I hope I didn't overload the yeast.  I'm using the Nanaimo Winmakers Nitrogen speadsheet. You can find it here:  http://nanaimowinemakers.org/Winemaking/General/AddingNitrogen.htm

That's all for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment