Friday, May 11, 2012

Pineapple coconut melomel (mead) - 1/2 Break is here! Day 4


Popped the fermenter tonight for the usual maintenance work.  Stir, Aerate, Measure, etc...  First the gravity...

SG = 1.052
This is awesome.  So I've reached the 1/2 way point.  (Not exactly but close enough!)  So that means its time for the final nutrient addition.  Cool.



4g DAP and 2g Fermaid-K

All mixed up with H2O and ready to go...
Feed me Seymour!


After the nutrient pitch I mixed it all up gently with a tiny little spoon.




Almost forgot about the pH measurement.  Measured at 3.3 which is not yet a problem but its getting damn close to it.  One more point and I'll have to add some Lye water to bring it back up a little bit.  I'll keep watching once a day...
pH = 3.3

We'll this batch is growing out of it's embryo stage and will start to take care of itself a bit more.  All in all this is going very well.  I haven't smelled even a trace of H2S so far and the fermentation is half over only 4 days in.  I suspect it will be done within a week at the most.  The sample I tasted today still has a lot of the pineapple flavor and it is overall a very very clean taste.  The alcohol is present but not that strong yet.  The bitter yeasty flavor is still quite mild.  Let's see what becomes of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment