Friday, May 11, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Melomel (Mead) - Added juice! Day 3.5

I've been worrying about the volume of the must.  I was at just a touch over 5 gallons.  That's not going to be enough to fill up a 6 gallon carboy even with the shredded coconut I plan on adding.

So today I bought 1 gallon of pineapple juice at lunch and brought it home.  I drank a glass and made up the volume with honey.  The pre-addition gravity of the must was 1.060.  The additional juice + honey came to a gravity of 1.077.  I mixed the juice/honey into the bucket and stirred it all up.  The must gravity measured at 1.062.  According to my math this all works out to make sense... and my total volume is now ~6 gallons.
Originally I used DOLE in a can, but this stuff should do...

I figure I'll loose about half a gallon or more as sludge after racking.  That should leave enough room in a 6 gallon carboy for the shredded coconut.  Can't wait...



No comments:

Post a Comment