Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Melomel (Mead) - First night aeration.

So tonight was the first aeration for this batch.  The fermentation is still yet to really take off as the airlock isn't moving very fast at all.  I cracked open the lid to start the aeration with my trusty high volume aquarium pump, sanitary inline filter, and bubble wand...





After 15 minutes of aeration the must had foamed up just a bit.


Next I pulled a sample to check Specific Gravity, temperature, and pH.

The pH measured at 3.7 which is just fine.  The SG was still holding at 1.096 so that's no change.  The yeast is probably still working up to it...  The temperature if holding at around 63F or 17C.



To verify my temperature controller is working I also measured the temperature of the water bath.
15.5 Degrees Celsius (60F) 
Everything is still looking good here so I'll just sit back and babysit this.  Next up is an aeration in the morning to help the yeast grow up big and strong...


No comments:

Post a Comment