Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Melomel (Mead) - Daily Maintenance Day 2



The fermentation is accelerating.  The airlock is starting to chug along now.  Let's see what the numbers will tell us.

First of all, I cracked the lid and saw this layer of pineapple vomit looking substance floating on top again.  In the end I'm going to be racking it off this crap so I've decided to skim it off.  Perhaps I've just ruined the whole thing... but I don't think so.

Doesn't that look appetizing



Now, I'm trying something new for the aeration.  I wanted to get a small air stone but the store was sold out.  Instead I got this 4" monster.  It fits nicely into the end of my racking cane/ bubble wand so I think this will work.  To sanitize I soaked it in StarSan and made sure to suck some StarSan through the pores.  Overall I left it in the bucket for about 15 minutes to help get it everywhere.  Maybe this is what will kill the mead?  Check out my video at the end to see the foam volcano!

Pulled a sample to check the ph and gravity then checked the Must Temperature.  The pH measured at 3.4 today so it is dropping but still okay.  Need to keep an eye on it.


  
Gravity = 1.082
Must Temperature = 60F (Nice)



Check out this foam!







No comments:

Post a Comment