Sunday, April 22, 2012

Orange Zest Traditional Mead - RACKED

Last night I went ahead and racked my Orange Zest Traditional mead.  On top of that I setup a mead shelf in my small ass apartment so i can now fit about 6 five gallon carboys.  Sweet!

This one measured a specific gravity (SG) of 1.008.  However, my hydrometers are fucked up a bit.  Tap water reads 1.004.  So, if I take that into account it means this mead is just about bone dry.  The pH measured @ 4.1.  That's a little high and means SO2 won't do shit.  I'll write up an article on SO2 and its relationship with pH at some point in time...

Anyways, I decided to make this  a semi-sweet mead so I racked it onto some honey.  All in all I added the following:


  • 1 lb Orange Blossom Honey - This should get me to semi-sweet.
  • 2.5 teaspoons on Bentonite mixed into 2 Cups of boiling water then blended for 5 minutes.  The bentonite is added to help the haze of the added honey to drop faster.
  • 1.85 grams of K-Meta (~50ppm).  Not sure why I added this since the pH is too high for it to do much good...
  • 1.25 teaspoons of K-Sorbate.  This chemically neuters the yeast rendering them unable to reproduce.  Don't imagine that it actually kills the yeast mind you!  The K-Meta works to stun/kill the beasties and the K-Sorbate cuts off their junk!
Pictures to follow shortly...



No comments:

Post a Comment