Monday, July 16, 2012

Adjusted acid on the Strawberry Banana Melomel

I've been lazy about the mead but today something got done...

The melomel is crystal clear and looking good.  I tasted it and found it to be quite flat.  It really needs some twang to it.  So I drew a 200ml sample and added a 10% w/w solution of acid blend (citric, malic, and tartaric) to it in measured amounts.  I ended up adding 8ml of the solution (8g) and though it was a bit heavy on the acid.

I also didn't want to add THAT much acid all in one go.  My calculation said to add 80g!

0.8g Acid/200ml Wine=0.004g/ml of acid
0.004g/ml=4g/Liter
5g/Liter * 20Liters = 80g Acid Blend

Too much for me to add at once, so I ended up adding 30g of Acid blend.

Here are the rest of the stats:

pH = 3.6
Free SO2 = 50ppm
Molecular SO2 = 0.8 ppm (RIGHT on the money!)
Gravity = 1.014


Taste Observations:  Now I can taste that banana!  Woo its really in front.  The Strawberry flavor is lacking as of yet.  Otherwise it is a nice drink.  The alcohol is fairly strong on the nose and somewhat on the tongue.  Overall this is good and should be a lot better in a few more months.  I'm going to let this acid addition blend for a month and then re-taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment